How To Choose A Backpacking Axe
The sharpness of the axe is very important. A dull axe would take you a long long time to chop wood or chop anything for that matter. A dull axe will take more effort and use a lot of energy. Walking and carrying items while in the wilderness take a lot of work and using more energy to chop wood is not a good idea. You want to be able to create a campfire very easily and effortlessly. So having a sharp tool or hatchet is very important in conserving energy and also for completing your task.
The weight of the item is always very important in backpacking. There is a just a lot of energy spent with each pound when it comes to backpacking or even hiking. So the items that we carry are often lightweight. The items are designed to have as little weight as possible. Even though the items are meant to weigh as less as possible, every pound and every ounce of weight is important. 0.1 pound is very important in terms of backpacking. While the outdoor axes are meant to be light, there are still some differences in terms of weight.
Most people let their outdoor axe hang outside their backpack. This is not as important for a lot of people. However, there are also people that do not like anything dangling out of their backpacks. So they prefer to have everything inside their backpack. This is one of the reasons why having a compact, portable and maybe even a folding axe is important. There are a limited amount of space in a backpack so having a compact item is pretty important as well.
The handle of the axe is one of the most important things to consider. Not all handles are created the same. If you have never owned an axe, imagine using a hammer. When you use a hammer, the force or the hammer also vibrates. There is some sort of force on the handle. So if the handle is not designed properly, a lot of force will be felt by the hand that holds the axe. This is important because a badly designed item will not be very useful. It may even hurt your hand.
The material that the outdoor axe is made out of is very important. The head is often made out of high grade steel. The body plus the handle can have different variations depending on the manufacturer. Some have a wooden body, some have a metallic or steel body, and some have a rubber handle for easy gripping. There are a couple of variations out there. The material of the item is very important because this is what makes the item durable. You do not want an item that will break in one backpacking or camping trip. You want something that will last for a long time.
The last thing to think about is the price or it maybe the first thing to think about as well. The price of an outdoor axe varies. It can be around $20 to $100. Generally, something around $30 to $40 dollars is good enough. A lot of good and durable axes are in this price range. If you want something more expensive, more usefulness, more versatility then you may have to pay more. But if you just want a good item to chop wood and create campfires then most of the items around 20-40 dollars are good enough.
Best Backpacking Axes
I absolutely think that obtaining a backpacking axe will help our way of life in the outdoors become far better. If you are in the wilderness, an axe is a very useful tool. One of the best ways to survive is to have an outdoor ax. It is a good weapon against wild animals and allows you to chop wood easily to create camp fire. I will provide you with plenty of beneficial data but you have to think about them.
Online, trying to find a rather good backpacking axe can be extremely time intensive so I have listed some for you. These products below are a few of the very best that I know of that can provide protection and a way to chop wood while in the outdoors. These items simply have many positive reviews that people that bought them were incredibly pleased. These items are my top selections and I always highly recommend them because these are some of the best and toughest I know of. I am extremely sure that you will be satisfied mainly because a lot of men and women are very pleased with their purchase.
These Backpacking Axes I Have Listed Are Amazing
||Website’s Review – Reasons We Picked These
|Estwing E24A 14-Inch Sportsman’s Axe with Leather Grip & Nylon Sheath
If you are searching for a remarkable backpacking axe then you need to think about this one. One of the primary points I really like about this item is the low price and its usefulness. The leather grip is very comfortable to the hand. This item has numerous features mainly because the company did a great job in creating it. It is made out of high quality steel that is very durable and light. I did some research before purchasing this product because I wanted to make the most for my cash. This is made in the USA too. This is very good and very durable. Two main things that we all want an axe to have.
- It has a tempered 3-1/4 in. cutting edge for easy cutting. A must for all campers and outdoorsman alike! Made in USA.
- Protect your eyes from flying particles and dust. Always wear safety goggles.
- It has a genuine leather grip that is sanded and lacquered for a beautiful finish. This axe also comes with an attractive rugged nylon sheath.
- Estwing’s world famous 14-inch Sportsman’s Axe is the choice of outdoorsmen everywhere
- Both the head and handle of the axe are forged in 1-piece and are fully polished. This classic axe offers unsurpassed balance and temper.
|Fiskars Consumer Prod 78506935 14-Inch Hatchet
I am recommending this backpacking axe simply because I am confident you will love it. This is very lightweight and perfect for backpacking. This product can provide protection and a way to chop wood while in the outdoors plus it has a wonderful design. This is very easy to use and easy to chop kindling with. Creating a camp fire with this axe is very easy and even enjoyable. By using this backpacking axe is far more fulfilling than using a dreadful item. I am extremely pleased. I am so impressed that I recommend this product to everyone I know. This is exceptionally simple and that is a good thing. It provides a great deal of functionality while being easy to use.
- Ideal for chopping kindling and small- to medium-sized logs
- With stronger-than-steel FiberComp handles and inseparable insert-molded heads, Fiskars axes don’t just outlast others — they’re virtually impossible to break.
- Fiskars axes are crafted with a proprietary grinding technique that provides a sharper edge for better contact and cleaner cuts. They also stay sharp longer and include low-friction coating.
- Perfected weight distribution provides an optimal power-to-weight ratio that increases swing speed to multiply power, much like an aluminum baseball bat.
||Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Hatchet
This backpacking axe is very affordable and this works well also. This is very comfortable on the hand and very easy to use. It is actually quite enjoyable. It does not matter how effective the products is. The two most critical factors that we are trying to find is affordability and effectiveness. I got this gem as a Xmas present about 24 months ago from my sister. I have used it more than I ever considered that I would. The sharp edge makes it easy to chop wood and other items. This is amazing and worth getting if you love to go camping or backpacking.
- Mildew-resistant nylon sheath w/ belt loops for accessibility.
- Full tang, high carbon steel construction for durability.
- A compact survival hatchet is worth its weight in lifesaving warmth and shelter. Especially when it weighs in at less than a liter of water, like the 1.4 pound. Bear Grylls Survival Hatchet designed by Gerber.
- The worse the weather gets, the more you’ll appreciate this sturdy little hatchet’s ability to turn out stacks of firewood or help you improvise a quick shelter.
- Ergonomic, non-slip rubber grip is secure in wet/dry conditions.
||Gransfors Bruk Wildlife Hatchet
This is a remarkable backpacking axe that I have grown to really like so much. The company created a superb design for this axe because this looks fantastic. This is a more traditional axe. The only drawback is that the price is very high. However this is very sharp and works well. You may not like it but the style is one of the reasons we obtain this item. This is great! The construction is amazing which is why this item has a lot of positive customer testimonials. I feel a lot of force and power every time I use this item. If you are serious about camping and backpacking, then you should definitely consider getting this item.
- The Wildlife Hatchet is a general camping hatchet that can chop, split and cut. The Wildlife Hatchet is popular as a gift.
- General-use small axe that is sized right for backpacking or attaching to a belt. It is the most popular Hatchet from Gransfors.
- Either the Wildlife Hatchet or the Small Forest Axe are the most popular blades made by Gransfors.
||Schrade SCAXE2L Survival Axe Black Handle
This backpacking ax is one of the finest that you’ll find on the Internet. I really like that this is very simple. I still cannot believe that this product is extremely affordable. This item can be used as a hammer as well. So if you want a hammer and an axe then this is a great choice. So I was hesitant to try this product in the first place but decided to test it anyway. This is very good and very durable. It feels good holding it. I will continue using this product and recommend it to others. I have been trying to find a great item and this came up. The quantity of positive consumer feedback that this has is superb that I am sure that you will love this axe like the folks who reviewed it.
- They are also the official manufacturer of smith and wesson knives. Founded by stewart taylor in 1975, taylor brands has been manufacturing, designing and distributing high-quality stainless steel knives and accessories since their inception.
- Black glass fiber filled pa handle with ergonomic black tpr rubber grip, extra large ferro rod with lanyard stores inside handle
- Large axe 3cr13 stainless steel blade w/fire striker, pa & trp rubber handle – taylor brands llc is the owner and manufacturer of schrade, uncle henry, old timer and imperial knives.
||Website’s Assessment – Reasons We Picked These
||Gerber Gator Combo Axe II
If you would like obtain a fantastic backpacking axe then you need to try this out. If you get this item, you will definitely be amazed at how highly effective it is. This has a saw blade as well which is very useful. This is a top quality item and the price tag is extremely budget friendly. I have tried various brands on the market, however the ingredients in the other items weren’t very good. This is rather simple to use and got it on the first try. After purchasing a great deal of excellent items such as this, I have come to expect a lot of remarkable items from this company.
- Forged Steel
- The handle also houses a coarse blade handsaw, held in place magnetically, for sawing branches and brush. It’s a rugged and lightweight camping essential.
- Saw is held inside handle magnetically, for easy + secure transport.
- The Gator II is a compact all-conditions axe for the outdoor adventurer. Made with a longer handle than the original Gator, the advantage is a greater striking force with the stainless steel head.
- The handle is made of glass-filled nylon and covered in Gerber’s Gator texture. It offers a better and more comfortable grip in wet and muddy conditions.
||WatchFire Camper’s Hatchet
This backpacking axe is among the finest that you can acquire. This is a wonderful item. I just love the way it looks simply because of the design. The blade is made out of stainless steel. The grip is good and does not skid on my hands. There are many fragile items out there mainly because the design is not really good. The product does what it says, and I whole heartedly recommend it to other people who are having problems or in a comparable situation as me. I am pleased that I read that article recommending this product. The style is sleek and it fits very well in any environment. It is highly likely that you are going to be satisfied with your purchase because this product is exceptionally inexpensive and amazing.
- It has a skid proof black handle.
- This knife comes with a sheath.
- The stainless steel blade has a black finish.
- The WatchFirCamper’s Hatchet is 10″ in overall length.
||MTech USA Camping Axe, Two-Tone Blade
One thing I like with this backpacking axe is that it is pretty high-quality. This just has plenty of positive consumer feedback that this became pretty popular in incredibly little time. This has a 440 stainless steel blade which is very sharp and very durable. I am confident you will be pleased with your purchase simply because this item look wonderful and this is also incredibly functional. The rubber handle gives a nice comfortable grip. I read the package info and read the reviews and thought I would personally try it for the reason that the ratings are excellent. To start, I’ve used this item several times and this has always worked extremely well for me. I am positive that you will really like this item since it is very good, have an exceedingly cheap price tag and performs wonderfully.
- This axe features a 3-inch satin finished 440 stainless steel blade. The durable rubber handle offers a comfortable grip and is built to withstand long term repeated use.
- Grade 440 stainless steel contains more carbon, giving it excellent hardness and edge retention.
- The MTech USA Camping Axe with two-tone blade features a black rubberized handle with an 11-inch overall length.
- Compact and easily portable, this tactical axe is perfect for camping enthusiasts or anyone who spends time outdoors.
||Yes4All Full Tang All Purpose Survival Hunting Camping Axe
If you are looking for an impressive backpacking axe then look at this. This is an excellent product that can chop wood and cut other materials and it also has an awesome design. An extremely fragile product will get destroyed easily and you will only squander your cash. This product is remarkable!! I spent the time to read all the testimonials of both bad and the good. They all like that this is very durable. I received this quickly in the mail, it can helps chop wood and cut other materials and I like it. I have no problems with it. This is amazing and should hold up fine for years to come.
- Nice design with 3 different built-in hexagon and Black finished blade, heat-treatment with hardness.
- Durable nylon wrapping handle ensures a strong, non-slip grip. Plus, the overall length of 9.3 inch makes it fit inside most back packs.
- Heavy-duty, durable yet lightweight one-piece construction stainless steel hatchet
- Full tang hatchet helps avoid the problem of loosing or flying off the axe head. This one-piece construction hatchet is durable yet lightweight enough to increase the swing speed then save your time.
- Comes with sheath to protect the blade, a nylon pouch and belt loop for easy storage and travel
||Stansport Emergency/Campers Multi Tool
This is among the best backpacking axes. This is not the best axe that you can get but this has a lot of tools that you can use while camping. It has an axe and a hammer which is very useful. No doubt you want to obtain a wonderful design that is exceptionally functional, useful and exquisite. The materials are incredibly high quality. This is amazing. High quality and timely delivery. This company always makes solid products, and this is no exception. It is a great thing that a lot of folks were in a position to review this item or else I wouldn’t be able to discover it. This item has numerous positive customer feedback which is a major help when we are thinking of buying it.
- The Stansport 8575 Camper’s Multi-Tool is useful whether you’re camping, hiking, backpacking, fishing, or working in the yard. Everything you need to get the job done.
- Always be prepared in the woods or around your home with the Stansport 8575 Emergency Camper’s Multi-Tool.
- Useful tools for any job, including a hatchet, hammer, knife, saw, 2 knife blades, Philips and flathead screwdrivers, file, pliers, wire cutter, can opener, and wrench.
||Editor’s Review – Reasons We Selected These
||Helko Classic Journeyman Pack Axe
In reality, this backpacking axe is quite good. If the item has a superb design, it is not exceptionally difficult to make use of it. This is a very good item and you can expect it to last for a long time because its resilience is amazing. This is made out of German C50 high grade carbon steel, 53-56 HRC. The very best price tag for this item is on this web shop as far as I know anyway. I purchased this and did not have quite high expectations due to the disappointments. However this item surpassed my expectations. Among the best things that I have ever tried. The top quality materials used to create this item are also very good.
- The Classic line is a premium set of felling axes and hatchets that meld versatility, functionality, and aesthetics into a truly unique and eye-catching tool.
- After the head is forged and heat treated, it is ground and polished to a highly reflective finish that reduces friction when splitting and improves rust resistance. The butt end, opposite to the blade, can be used for light hammering and is perfect for striking in tent stakes.
- The Classic Journeyman is Helko’s solution to the quest for the ultimate wilderness pack axe.
- The weight and length allow for either one or two handed use, and it is equally capable of both cutting and splitting work.
- The Journeyman is the perfect all-purpose companion for the backpacker, camper, or woodsman. Its beauty alone will certainly have friends and family turning their heads.
- A cross between a hatchet and conventional axe, this pack axe is designed to be lightweight, compact, and easy to carry while trekking through the wilderness.
||Cold Steel Trail Boss Hickory Handle
The way I view it is that this backpacking axe is a very good deal. The volume of positive customer feedback that this item has is amazing that you can find every piece of information you need just by going through them. THis is a little bit heavier than most hatchets but this is very good. The extra weight justifies getting this item. The force and power that this provides is amazing. The price tag of this item is one of its finest attributes. I recommend this product mainly because it has the ability to chop wood and cut other materials. One of the best you can get right now.
- Extensively field-tested by Lynn C. Thompson on a month long hunting trip in the outback of Australia, the Trail Boss was really put to the test. He used it to chop kindling, clear roads and trails, to build blinds and even to chop down a fair sized Gidgee Tree (one of the hardest woods found down under).
- Handle Material: American Hickory
- The Trail Boss is light and compact enough to carry all day in your hand or strapped to your pack, yet heavy and tough enough for chores that would make a hatchet or tomahawk scream for mercy.
- Featuring a European style head with a 4″ blade and a 4 1/2″ cutting edge, it takes a big bite with every swing. Plus, it features a very stout straight-grained Hickory handle.
||KingCamp Light Sharp Carbon Steel Camping Hatchet Axe
I am quite pleased that I acquired this considering that this is a very good backpacking axe. I like that this product is very budget friendly and yet quite effective. This is very lightweight. If you are having problems with weight then this is a good choice. This is an excellent deal because it looks good and the item is also pretty affordable. Whenever I am searching for a good item, this always comes up. It is incredibly apparent and easy to see the visible results from using this backpacking ax. Durability is a wonderful feature that we all would like in any item. This is very good and should last for many years to come.
- The handle is non-slip with granular, the plastic covers on both ends of the axe blade, which can effectively protect the axe pointed.
- Equipped with high strength nylon bag, double snap fastener design, make the nylon bag not easy to drop, protect the axe and convenient to carry, prevent the axe blade scratch.
- An axe is a necessary when you go out to camp especially when you face to cut paths through the mountains and build bridges across the rivers. We recommend you this KingCamp glass fiber filled for nylon handle camping axe.
- The body of this camping axe is made of high carbon steel; it is strong and sharp for camping and rugged outdoor expeditions. The hollow out design can effectively reduce weight, it will light to use and carry.
||Council Miner’s Axe
This backpacking axe is really excellent. The design is for the most part what I really like about this product. This has a 20″ Hickory Handle that is very impressive and feels good on the hand. I have decided to acquire another of this product because I just love it. I recommend it to anybody who wants to chop wood and cut other materials while in the outdoors. I have used this product for a number of weeks now and it has exceeded my expectations. This is also made in the USA. This is constructed well and very sharp.
- Made in the U.S.A.
- 20″ Hickory Handle
- Ideal for Camping or Backpacking
||Estwing Tomahawk Axe
You should check out this backpacking axe because it may well be the product that you are shopping for. This is an incredibly good product and if you have a look at its features, it is also extremely sturdy. This is very lightweight as well. It chops small branches and wood very easily. The grip feels good and I can output a lot of power with this axe. No matter how you look at it, people purchase this item due to the incredibly amazing sharpness and versatility of this item. I love this product! Estwing is one of the best companies out there when it comes to hatchets and other outdoor items. I must say that there were no problems making use of this in any way. I like the simplicity of this item as well.
- Made in the USA – tools are proudly crafted in rockford, IL using the finest american steel
- Forged steel construction – maximum strength and durability for a lifetime of hard work
- Outdoor versitility – perfect for chopping small trees & branches. Use pick end for breaching, excavation & extrication
- Genuine leather grip – hand sanded and lacquered for a durable yet comfortable finish
- Heavy duty sheath – includes ballistic nylon sheath to protect hand sharpened cutting edge
* I hope you found what you were looking for.